The Pain of God
Anne Drover RSM (North Sydney) has been reflecting on the suffering in the world and has submitted a reflection for readers.
- This picture – “The Pain of God”, attempts to portray the effect on a Creator – God as “man’s inhumanity to man” increases, and includes not only all living creatures, but our very planet, earth.
- Species extinction accelerates as we plunder earth’s resources, poisoning air and water. Our very existence is in mortal danger.
- Reminders of the horrors of Srebrenica, Rwanda, Sudan, the Congo. Genocide in our time, as the story of Cain and Abel is repeated a thousand-fold. Nor are we Australians immune, faced with a history of massacres by early colonists, and today, injustices heaped one upon another by those claiming to know ‘what is best’ for those they dispossess.
About the symbols
- From the abode of light, jagged and menacing shapes.
- Planet earth and Calvary’s Hill (Golgotha – Hebrew "the place of a skull").
- Streams (tears?) of blood rain from the heavens.
- A suffering world:
“God so loved the World…” (John 3:6)
“Father, forgive them, they know not what they do…” (Luke 28:34)
Artwork and text by Anne Drover RSM (North Sydney)