Archived News Item
LFAs meet for annual conference in SydneyMay 20, 2010
Local Formation Animators (LFAs) from each of the congregations of the Institute gathered with the Institute Formation Council in Sydney from April 30 to May 2, 2010. The Institute’s Formation Co-ordinator, Kaye Evans RSM (Melbourne), reports on the conference.
On Friday April 30, the Local Formation Animators (LFAs) from each of the Congregations gathered with the Institute Formation Council at The Centre, Randwick, for their annual conference. The theme was “Openness to the continual call to conversion: becoming human” which was presented by Kathleen Williams RSM.
There was the usual enthusiasm evoked by meeting together and this year of the Institute Chapter gave particular impetus to our discussions together.
Kathleen’s presentation drew from much of the work of Bernard Lonergan SJ and we were very much indebted to Kathleen for making the material so accessible to us over the course of the weekend. It certainly provided rich matter which challenged our thinking and led to animated conversations as we were guided to understand how openness to the continual call to conversion and becoming human mean one and the same thing.
Of course, everyone will have the opportunity to participate in one of the gatherings offered throughout the Institute by the LFAs. You will see that many of the gatherings have been arranged between June and August.
The topic has significance for our reflections during the Chapter preparation and some of the reflections which came from our gathering have been offered as stimulus material for Chapter.
These were some of the comments made by the LFAs at the end of the weekend in the light of our Chapter preparation:
- That the LFA gatherings continue into the future as part of our ongoing professional and theological development as religious women.
- Hope all delegates hear this material. Hope the next phase of Mercy Australia is based on this – openness.
- The call to continual openness has opened my eyes rather than just accepting day to day routines. To have this opportunity I’m sure will create or ‘free up’ a lot of creativeness in our receiving a new entity and what we put into it.
- This program is a good preparation for the Institute Chapter – it’s good how it has dove-tailed into the whole preparation.
- That these meetings will prepare sisters for the Chapter.
- These conferences have been a wonderful connection between the members of the Institute. For the ongoing development of us all, theologically, scripturally and spiritually, they are oases on our Mercy journey.
- Let us all embrace the opportunities that are being offered to us at this time of Chapter preparation as we let go of the chains that might bind us so that we can move forward together into our new entity with trust in each other and confidence and hope for the future.
- To enable these workshops to continue into the future to promote openness between each sister as we journey towards reconfiguration and after…
- I would hope that we can all approach this Chapter with openness – knowing and believing that it is God’s work that we are about.
- I think it is important to be open to all the possibilities of this Chapter and to become deeply committed to the preparation and all it entails.
From: Kaye Evans RSM (Institute Formation Co-ordinator)