Celebrating 160 Years of Ministry in Goulburn
In October, sisters from Canberra, Yass and Cootamundra have joined the Goulburn sisters in celebrating 160 years of Ministry in Goulburn.
Refreshments were shared in the Presbytery following a Liturgy.
The cake, beautifully made and decorated by Maria Assunta Roberts RSM, featured an early photo of the Convent. The cake was cut by the Central A Community Leader, Carolyn Nolan RSM.
Mercy Sisters arrived from Ireland to the Catholic parish of Goulburn from Westport in Ireland in 1859, at the invitation of the Catholic clergy. This was the first Congregation of Sisters of Mercy to arrive in New South Wales, and the first Congregation of Religious west of the Great Dividing Range.
When the Sisters arrived, Goulburn was the centre of a parish that extended into Tasmania. As women from the local Catholic families began joining the Congregation, the sisters were able to move to more towns in the parish. A list of places where the sisters established communities and took on responsibility for pastoral work and schools gives an indication of the spread of the Catholic population and the desire of the clergy and of the sisters to minister to their needs. Between 1859 and 1948 Mercy convents were founded in Albury, Yass, Boorowa, Cootamundra, Young, Murrumburrah, Tumut, Junee, Gundagai, Grenfell, Deniliqiuin, Corowa, Wilcannia, Wodonga, Deloraine, Wyalong, Gunning, Jerilderie, Crookwell, Tocumwal, Barmedman, Galong, Stockinbingal, Bethungra, Finley, Goologong, Murringo, Griffith, Dee Why, Henty, Binda, Howlong, Captains Flat and Braddon.
Congratulations to sisters both present and past.
Macrina Galvin RSM (far right) celebrating with some ex-students of Our Lady of Mercy College