Archived News Item
A Message with Two SidesMarch 8, 2013
‘A message with two sides, one of hope and one of outrage.’
On the occasion of International Women’s Day, Carmel Heagerty rsm, Institute Justice Coordinator, offers food for thought and reflection.
- “I have hope because awareness and action are rising for women’s rights… outrage because women and girls continue to suffer…”
In the lead up to International Women’s Day 8 March, UN Women Executive Director Michelle Bachelet urges the international community to fulfill their commitments and to protect women’s right to live free of violence. READ MORE HERE
Change is possible and change is happening
- Working with the most challenged people in Australia and the Asia Pacific, Mercy Works supports long term development projects that engage in partnerships with communities, including:
Papua New Guinea
– Rehabilitation services in prisons in the highlands;
– Skills training for women includes sewing, cooking, growing vegetables and budgeting;
– Family Life program workshops to minimise violence in families and communities;
– Giving Access to Education (GATE).
– Supports capacity building project through helping a women’s centre
– Yula-Punaal Aboriginal Women’s Post-release and Transition Program
READ MORE HERE
- Reaching out to Women
Australia’s first multi-language anti-trafficking radio awareness project, The RAP, was launched this week by ACRATH in a bid to create awareness within local communities about the risk of sexual and labour exploitation. With the help of local volunteers the community service announcements are produced in Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese (Mandarin). READ MORE HERE
- MY World: identify the critical issues
Inform the United Nations of the significant priorities for a better world by responding to the MY World global survey. The results will be shared with world leaders in setting the next global development agenda. Join in the survey, tick six options and make your voice heard HERE
How will you celebrate International Women’s Day?
How can you support any of the above projects?