Archived News Item
2018 Frayne Speech FestivalSeptember 27, 2018
Thirteen Mercy schools from around the State attended the 23rd Annual Frayne Speech Festival on Friday 17 August, which this year was hosted by Notre Dame College in Shepparton.
There was a real buzz from the moment staff and students arrived at the College and the Festival sprang into life with exceptional performances from well-rehearsed and prepared students.
The technical and unique play on delivery of words challenged the Voice Choirs to present a piece (poem or prose) with speech (not singing) in unison, using the same inflections, tonal qualities and pronunciation. Hours of work and preparation have gone into these performances. Public speaking contestants demonstrated superior skills and talents in verbal communication and the power of speech.
Whilst debating teams performed to the highest standards using well honed arguments, clever rebuttals and some clever risk taking were offered in response. Congratulations were extended to the staff and students of Notre Dame College for the detailed planning and organisation of the Festival, for their time, passion and expertise.
Overall results for the 2018 Festival:
- Winner Ashleigh Brooks Sacred Heart College, Kyneton
- Runner-up Rosie Bourke Sacred Heart College, Geelong
- Winner: Emmanuel College, Warrnambool
- Runner-up: Padua College, Mornington
- Best Overall Speaker: Finn Laidler Emmanuel College, Warrnambool
- Winner: Mount Lilydale Mercy College, Lilydale
- Runner-up: Emmanuel College, Warrnambool
The 2019 Frayne Speech Festival will be hosted by Sacred Heart College, Geelong, VIC.