News Items

November 28, 2005

On Saturday 26 November Elaine Treagus made her perpetual profession at the Church of the Holy Cross Goodwood in the presence of her Sisters, family, friends and parishoners from the clustered parishes of Goodwood, Colonel Light Gardens and Kingswood.

Read More
August 03, 2005

On Sunday, July 31, a group of twenty-nine gathered for a barbecue lunch at the Sisters' House at in Light Street, South Casino.

Read More

"Thousands of Years of Footsteps" was the theme for the annual conference of new members from the Australian Institute and from Aotearoa New Zealand when they gathered in Sydney from 19th to 24th April

Read More
March 28, 2005

Sister Ann-Maree O'Beirne made Final Vows on 6 March in the Cathedral of the Bathurst Diocese. Congregational Leader, Sr Gabriella Gresz received Ann-Maree's vows before a packed Parish Sunday Mass Congregation, and many Sisters of Mercy from Bathurst and other Mercy Congregations. Bishop Patrick Dougherty, Bishop of Bathurst, was the main Celebrant

Read More

The Sisters of Mercy Chapel in Grafton was filled to overflowing one Sunday afternoon recently when parishioners, community representatives, friends of St Josephs Cowper and Sisters from the Mercy Congregation gathered for the induction of Sue McKimm as the new Director of St Josephs.

Read More

It is thirty years in April since the fall of Saigon. Most of us know the events that followed only too well. For the next almost twenty years, thousands of Vietnamese fled their country in fishing boats to search for the freedom and normal life that was no longer possible in their own land due to a cruel communist tyranny.

Read More

Sixty-seven Sisters of Mercy from all states in Australia, Papua New Guinea and Pakistan met in their 5th Institute Chapter, gathering at St Joseph's Centre at Baulkham Hills from 2-11 July 2004.

Read More

A recently published book, Through a Prism of Mercy, celebrates the centenary of the Coburg Convent of Mercy, October 1903 -October 2003. The first Coburg convent was once the Young Queen Hotel, built in the 1850's and famous as a stopping place for diggers during the gold rush days. The building was bought by Monsignor O'Hea, who bequeathed it and the surrounding property to the Sisters of Mercy. The first convent was superseded by the second Coburg Convent opened in 1959, a fine yellow brick structure with 40 bedrooms. This building is now incorporated into Mercy Secondary College, Coburg. T

Read More