The Sisters of Mercy first came to Australia in 1846 and to Papua New Guinea in 1956. Dedicated to serving people who suffer from injustices related to poverty, sickness or lack of education, we endeavour to respond to a range of local and global needs. For the sake of our mission, in December, 2011, fifteen Mercy congregations formed the Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea.